Mine tailings in Latin America: Business as usual not an option
Intelligence Series Mining & Metals
The high-profile disaster at Vale’s Brumadinho operation in Brazil renewed concerns about the safety of tailings storage facilities, prompting a global tailings review convened by the UN Environment Programme, the International Council on Mining and Metals and the Principles for Responsible Investment. A mandatory international standard is expected to be ready to implement by end-2019.
Figure - Increasing severity and frecuency of tailings storage facility failures
Table of contents
- Introduction: Failures of Tailings Storage Facilities Forecast to Rise
- TSF Failures in Latin America: Safety Now a Priority
- Root Causes of TSF Failure: Economic Viability a Key Safety Barometer
Companies and projects related to this report
- Mineração Vale Verde Ltda.
- Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile
- Samarco Mineração S.A.
- Vale S.A.
- Rio Tinto plc
Pages (English Version)